Deities & Alignment

Welcome to Rob's World!. Like any other campaign, my campaign has house rules. The rules presented here cover some topics that can cause problems in a campaign. By making these rules known at the onset of a players entry into a campaign, the game master can prevent and avoid some rather unpleasant scenarios. The matter of a character's alignment, and the players conduct through that character, has a huge impact on the enjoyment level of the campaign for all the players involved. These rules were established in order to ensure that all the players have a good time when they sit down to play the game.


Characters may only be of good, or neutral alignment. Players should keep in mind that "all" players have a vested interest in their characters, and are attending gaming sessions to have fun. Any player who hides behind player ignorance as an excuse to attack or damage other characters, will be judged harshly. As the DM, I will be paying very close attention to whether or not you are playing in a manner which I consider evil. Don't worry too much about an alignment deviation and resulting loss of level as a result of being too lawful, or too chaotic. You should however, be aware that I will not permit the play of evil characters, irregardless of your characters alignment. While some may argue that a chaotic neutral character is permitted to perform an occasional evil act, I will not allow a player to use this sort of rule riding too excuse an attack on another players character. I have seen too many campaigns ruined by juvenile players who think they can use their character to attack or harm other characters. Players will be warned when their character is in jeopardy of an alignment deviation. If the players character becomes evil, it loses a level and automatically becomes an NPC under the control of the DM.


Deities from the Forgotten Realms, Maztica, and Greyhawk Campaigns may be used. Additionally, any Non-human deities may be used. (Provided the DM has a source which includes the deity in question. Or the DM is provided with a copy of the deities statistics.) Players are encouraged to make use of the following gaming supplements. Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman deities, when selecting a suitable deity for their character. The only time a character must choose a deity, is when a priest type character is chosen.


The DM may determine whether a character is familiar with or knows of, a particular religion, faith, or deity, that is not obviously part of the characters background/makeup. The percent chance is equal to: 40% for Greater powers, 20% for Intermediate powers, 10% for lesser powers and 5% for Demi powers and cults. This percent is increased by twice the characters level (i.e. Add 8% to the roll if your character is 4th level). This roll is made when the name or symbol of a power is revealed/made known. This check is made in addition to any checks made as a result of other more specialized skills (i.e. the 'Religion' proficiency).


Divine intervention in this campaign, as in any campaign. Is a rare occurrence; and as such, is handled as follows: Only the DM may determine when a roll for divine intervention may be attempted. If the DM decides that an attempt may be made, then the chance of it actually occurring, is only 1 in 100 (a 1% chance). In 99% of the cases, when divine intervention does occur, the deity does not show up in person. Instead an act of the deity, or appearance of an Agent, will occur in order to carry out the will of the deity.

Author: Robert L. Vaessen e-mail: robert robsworld org
Last Updated:

This page has been accessed times since 09 Nov 2000.